Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Red Kilby "Keepin' It Real"


Red Kilby's cd "Keepin' It Real" is now available at www.buckatune.net

Now he's done it, really done it! Red Kilby had this irrational idea he could go to Texas and get some of his musical heroes from the past together; steel players, guitar players, and others. Then to make matters worse he even imagined he could cut a real, genuine country album just like we used to record in the 1960's. Talk about Paranoia!

Evidently, the world is madder than I suspected. He did it. Red got Ralph Mooney, Jerry Brightman, Dicky Overbey and me, Lloyd Green, to play steel on various songs-some of which Mooney and I are infamous for- added the great Redd Volkaert and Junior Knight on Electric guitars and Dale Morris on fiddle. To sweeten the pie he put Jeff Williams on piano, Dick Dunn on drums and Reggie Brown on bass, then had Joe Bielinski produce all these guys, with Robert Snyder engineering and mixing the music. Red Kilby, the man with the dream who thought he could make this happen is, of course, the singer, with occasional harmony from Jake Hooker. Mooney sounds just like the "Moon" I used to love listening to in the late 1950's and 1960's, while Brightman takes one of the classic Weldon Myrick solos on "I'll Come Runnin" and recreates a masterpiece in his own brilliant style. Overbey is splendid, adding great color, emotion and playing to a number of these tunes. I played the solo on "Crystal Chandeliers" that I never got to play on the Charley Pride "Live At Panther Hall" album. This is the solo I meant to play. Really I did, Red.

This first song on the CD "That Bakersfield Sound" will please and surprise everyone, while later Brightman and I combine our efforts on the Billy "Crash" Craddock song, "I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door".

It'll take you a long time to absorb all of the good steel and other music on the CD, so get prepared for some of the finest shuffles and country recordings to come down the road recently.

"By the way, I guess I shouldn't have doubted that Red Kilby could pull this off. When he wanted one of the world class muscle cars, he became the proud owner of "Ginger", an award winning, mint condition 1969 Dodge Charger R/T. And yes he plays the 1969 8-track tape of "Live At Panther Hall" in this show piece." Lloyd Green-Steel guitar

(Reprint with permission from http://www.redkilby.com/real.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment